Judgment at its Finest

marissa - louisville, Kentucky

Judgment at its Finest

When was the last time you prejudged someone? This morning, at lunch, just before you read this? I, honestly, prejudge people all the time. I know it’s not fair and that I wouldn’t like to be prejudged, but it has become a habit to me like most Americans today. Our world is so concerned with how you look, what you wear, whether you’re rich or not, that children now grow up with the idea that judging isn’t wrong its just apart of life.

Sometimes I’ll be judging someone and not even realize what I’m doing. Lately, I’ve tried to improve myself by not judging others, but rather pick out their good qualities. If everyone could participate in the at least once a day it could change the world. Talking down to others to bring ourselves up is not only wrong, but it’s incredibly stupid. If you need to make yourself feel better by making someone feel worse you might as well not feel good. The ripple effect of people putting others down goes through the whole world. You downgrade someone, then they downgrade another person and it just continues throughout our lives.

Now when I see people putting others down I usually ask them, “do you really know him/her?” Most of the time the answer is no, but they just do it because they compare themselves to the other person and see themselves as a better person. This shows how much people think before acting; they don’t. Just imagine the pain you put others through and picture yourself in that moment. I’m sure you know the cheesy saying ‘do to others as you would have done to yourself’. In this case I’m asking you to take a deeper look into it and think about how much applying it to your life would change everyone’s lives.