Motivation

Alex - Waltham, Massachusetts

Ever since the concepts of college first entered my mind I have dreamed of attending the University of Miami. I thought I was motivated to fulfill my dream until I actually witnessed students who attend U-Miami.

I believe that the best motivation comes from viewing those who have achieved your same goals.

Most people think they find motivation from envisioning their goals. Probably the biggest reason we see so many fail in their conquests of goals. Envisioning their goals…isn’t that the same as dreaming? Seeing is believing, actually being in the presence of those who have accomplished what you are striving for puts your dreams into perspective. During the experience you can say to yourself “This is real, I can do this”.

When I first drove onto the Coral Gables campus, I felt a tingling feeling down my spine. Being in the presence of students attending the University of Miami turned my goal from a dream to reality. Walking around the campus seeing students, professors, classes, and dorms changed my thought process from worrying about my future to having the confidence I need in order to achieve my goals.

After my visit to “The U”, I realized that my dream was pursued the wrong way, my motivation cam from something different and I did not grasp its concepts before my experience.

Motivation is defined as the psychological feature that arouses a person to action toward a desired goal. Apparently dreaming did not arouse me to action enough to end up at Miami in the first place, only the experience I had could provoke me to start acting towards my goal of graduating from the University of Miami.

And hey, going out and viewing goals like being a CEO of a major corporation is tough, we all know that, but starting small and building your way up the point where you can experience a day in the life of a CEO is imperative.

I want to actually have the experience of being at the University of Miami every day, just like every worker at the bottom of the chain wants to be in the corner office making six figures in the corporate world. The best way to achieve goals like these is to be motivated.

I believe that my motivation is going to pay off because I have learned to recognize the effort in need to put in to achieve my present goals and those later in life.

Maybe the next essay I write, I’ll be sitting on a patio in Miami.