Animal Love

Alayna - Porter, Indiana

This I believe…

I believe that it is okay for someone to love their pet just as much, if not more, than their significant other. Through my experiences in my life, I have come to the conclusion that the love your pet gives you is truly unconditional. There are many reasons why this is true.

First of all, your pet is always excited to see you. Say you come home from a long day of school and you just want to relax. You open the door to your home to find your precious little dog, Kramer. He is jumping up and down, wagging his tail, and attempting to attack you with kisses. Kramer acts this way every single time you walk in the door, whether it be from coming inside after grabbing the mail, or coming home from a two week vacation. It is a great feeling to know that at least someone is thrilled at the sound of you walking into a room.

Secondly, your pet is always willing to obey you. You make cute little kissy noises to you dog or cat to get them to come to you, and they come running up. If you make those same noises to your significant other, they may just think you have mental problems. When you tell you dog to fetch, you bet he will run as fast as he can to grab his toy and bring it back to you. If you were to ask your sweetheart to ‘fetch’ you a glass of water, he may just giggle and say, “Ha, right. You can do it yourself!” Telling your dog to sit or be quiet is a simple task for them to do, because they just may get a treat for it. Perhaps “Treats For Boyfriends” is the next new thing that should be made…

Next, your pet is always loyal. Your pet would never run away to be with some other owner. They would never ditch you to hang out with their other animal friends. If you want to watch a movie, your pet will always sit there and watch it with you, no matter what the movie is.

Also, your pet always likes to cuddle. To your pet, snuggling in bed or on the couch is a way to bond with the owner. It is not an emasculating task that they groan over every single time. If you are cold, you better bet that your dog will nuzzle up to you to keep you warm.

To further illustrate, your pet is always appreciative to what you do. If you ask them if they want to eat, you know they will be jumping around until you set the food down for them. If you ask your dog if he wants to go on a walk, you know it will make him happy, and he lets you know that he is indeed happy.

Lastly, your pet is always willing to listen. If you have had a rough week, you can spill all of your emotions to you animal, and they will not judge you. They will not call you a drama queen or tell you to get over it. If you want to cry, your pet will be there to look at you adoringly and lick your tears off of your face.

So, as I said, I believe that it is absolutely okay for a person to love their pet just as much, if not more, than their significant other. When you come home to watch The Notebook and complain about your day while wanting to cuddle, it is a great feeling to know that someone will always be there with you; your pet.