Who Am I?

Hannah - Fort Worth, Texas

This I Believe:

Who Am I?

Throughout my college education, I have been encouraged to discover who I am and what I believe. Through the masses of papers, projects, and presentations, I have gained an insight into the complexity of the person that I have grown to be. I realize that the basis of who I am has been formed overtime through faith, family, friends, education, and life experiences. All of these aspects shape my thoughts, actions, and my mere existence in daily life.

It has been explained to me that the purpose of this self-awareness is to understand how my perception of the world shapes how I think, help, and see humanity. It is my understanding that my view of the world alters my thoughts, which, in turn, alters my actions. Through this process of becoming self-aware, it is my job to discover how my worldview affects the way I treat others. In my experience, it is difficult to critically evaluate myself. The deeper my thoughts wander, the more confused I become about who I am and what I believe.

Who I am? I do not really know. I guess I am who I am. I am a living, breathing individual who works hard, but still makes mistakes. I possess that thoughts and perceptions that build my identity and affect the way I see others. The world impacts me and I impact the world.

The true me is an identity that can only be acknowledged as a child of God. This is the most important aspect of me. My faith is the foundation upon which I stand. It is the center of my being, the very core of my existence. My life is only made possible through the love, grace, and mercy provided by the God I call my Savior. When asked to separate myself from my faith, I am nothing. I am no one.

So, what are all the facets of my identity? I do not know. The only truth I know about myself for certain is the purpose of my life. I live to glorify the God that I believe created me. Through the rest of my existence on earth, I will continue to act in an effort to serve others in the name of the Lord. This is the only piece of my life that I have sort of figured out. Other than that, self-awareness is a life-long process, so I have my entire life to figure out who I am and what else I believe.