rising from failure story

Joseph - Barrigada, Guam

Everybody loves “Rocky” rising from failure stories.

How about Charlie Rich? An Arkansas dirt farmer who broke into the music business at Sun Records during its dying days as a studio player and songwriter for the likes of stars like Johnny Cash. He himself was recorded and had tepid success with an Elvis clone record, but after that struck out record after record and was dropped by one label after another. And then he spent too much time in his favorite bar playing what he liked regardless of musical movements of his time.

It was after he turned 40 that Billy Sherrill, who’d developed Tammy Wynette, enlisted Charlie Rich on his Epic label. And in 1972, Rich turned in the definitive country music classic “Behind Closed Doors” followed by the all-genre hit “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World.” Charlie Rich became the prevailing country music stylist of that decade.

It wouldn’t last too long.

In 1975 at the Country Music Awards ceremony, Rich set the envelope for John Denver on fire self-exiling himself forever.

Charlie Rich’s last lament after getting kicked out of the establishment in effect for burning John Denver’s country music award:

Lord I feel like going home

I tried and I failed and I’m tired and weary

Everything I ever done was wrong

And I feel like going home

Lord I tried to see it through

But it was too much for me

And now I’m coming home to you

And I feel like going home

Cloudy skies are rolling in

And not a friend around to help me

From all the places I have been

And I feel like going home

Lord I feel like going home

Everything I ever done was wrong

And I feel like going home

So much in life is a matter of timing, I believe. So much depends on not giving up. There’s a moment in the sun for everyone.