Faith

Michael - USA

On a chilly winter evening I found myself driving back from my best friend’s house when my faith was tested. I have made this drive a countless number of times before without incident, but unfortunately this time was different. Usually I have about one song worth of driving until I have made it safely back home to my sleeping family, calico cat, and the newest additions to our family, two stray animals. One is a normal run of the mill homeless orange tiger cat, but the other is quite unique because it is a baby possum. Both arrive at various times throughout the night to eat the food my mom leaves for them on the front doorstep and to take a rest in the igloo house my family purchased for them, complete with a cozy blanket inside.

On this particular drive home I found myself shocked at what I encountered on the road. About halfway through my journey, I looked down and saw on the pavement a small possum. Our poor possum lay there on the ground, struck down by a moving three ton vehicle. With so many thoughts racing through my head, I didn’t know what I was going to tell my mom and sister when I got home. I pulled my car into the driveway and exited, walking to the front door of my house. Something inside me told me to take a look in the igloo house to see if anything was in there, and to my absolute amazement I saw our possum sitting there staring me right in the eyes. He was alive!

I believe in having faith. I thought that I had lost our friend the possum that night, but it was not to be. Things will happen as they are meant to, and it is important to have faith that circumstances will always work out. Positivity breeds happiness and believing in the best possible outcome is just a way of shining a different light on the situations one encounters in life.

Every occurrence that one deals with on daily basis has to do with having vested faith in something. Whether it is a belief in God and an eternal life in heaven, or knowing that your team is going to win the championship that year, life depends on trusting some sort of higher power. While driving home that night I lost my faith in God for letting our poor possum die. I started thinking the worst and lost sight of the fact that circumstances in the universe evolve as they are supposed to. Luckily when I got home, God gave me a little tap on the shoulder to remind me that he was still there and was looking out for me and my family.

I believe that you are what you believe. I have learned to just take things for what they are and realize that problems in life have a way of resolving themselves. Whether this is the truth or not does not matter. Just believing in a higher power makes all the difference. I now know to not get frantic during difficult times but to just have faith in the order of the universe, as things will eventually work themselves out.