Directing the Future

Amanda - South Easton, Massachusetts

Every high school student is required to take the SAT, also known as Scholastic Assessment Test. This standardized reasoning test is often what determines if a student is accepted to college. However, does it really make sense that one single test can be the deciding factor of someone’s future?

I believe in directing my own future.

Personally, I find that standardized tests are very difficult. I took the SATs twice in high school, both times scoring below average. On the contrary, my GPA was consistently above average. Furthermore, my resume consists of a variety of activities to display my versatility. I would have thought that keeping an above average GPA while participating in several sports and activities would be enough to get me into the colleges that I desired. However, when I was put on the waiting list for my top two schools I was very surprised.

After being waitlisted I thought to myself, how can the score of a single test overshadow four years of hard work? I knew that I had the ability to do well at these schools but I felt that the schools were mislead by my SAT scores.

I believe that a student’s work ethics and dedication should be considered before anything else. Even though a student may receive a good score on the SAT, they could still have poor work ethics. A college should accept the student that will be taking their work seriously over someone who has the knowledge, but may not know what to do with it. Furthermore, the SATs are only testing a certain intelligence. I feel that since the test is timed, you are being tested on how quickly you can comprehend a story or how fast you can solve a math problem. Many students are able to accurately answer questions within the time they are given. However, some students, such as myself, do not have the ability to answer questions accurately with a time limit. Those students who do well on standardized tests should have the option to send their scores to the colleges that they are applying to. I believe if students who do not do well on SATs are given the option of sending their scores, their four years of hard work will not be overshadowed. I’ve always been a strong believer that everyone deserves a second chance. The SAT’s is only one test, which is one chance to determine your future. I believe that who I am should not be reduced to numbers on a page. I went through four years of high school. Within these four years I was given many opportunities to express my good qualities. I want my hard work and dedication to be what leads me to becoming successful in the future.

Luckily for me, I ended up being accepted to the schools I was waitlisted on. If Endicott College did not see past my poor SAT scores I would not be writing this essay right now. Unfortunately for others, they will not be accepted to their college or university of choice because the schools consider one single test before their overall high school achievements. These students’ future is based on a mandatory test rather than their overall success in which they control. This is why I believe in directing my own future.