Competition

Michael - Spotsylvania, Virginia

Ever since the beginning of time competition has been a major part of society. Even during the stone ages cavemen probably had some type of competition such as throwing rocks at each other and seeing who could make fire first by rubbing two rocks together. Competitions help unite people by the rivalries that they bring to the table. Competition also usually brings out the best in people.

Competition brings people together. In any activity that we are involved in it brings us close with a group of people. If everyone is competing for something eventually we earn respect for our fellow competitor’s. I know that when I played baseball in High School no matter how bad I disliked the other team I respected them. On game day we would be enemies but the next day we would be best friends.

While many people think of sports as the primary type of competition an obvious example other than sports would be just the everyday world. Competition and rivalries are in everyday life. Every day that we wake up, we are competing for something whether it’s who gets to the lunch line first or who gets the job that everyone wanted. In a couple of years when I get into what they call, “The Real World,” I will be fighting for promotions with my fellow peers. That is what competition is all about. We need it to run our society. If everyone was just happy with what was done, or how something got done, nothing would ever change. Competition is good for us. It gives us the desire to do better with our lives. Just say that we lived in a world where everything was handed to us. We never had to work. All the money that we could ever want was at our hands and feet. How many people would actually try to better the society or better themselves in that world? Without competition how would things get done?

Competition is not just defined as competing for something, it is a way people compare themselves to other people. In my opinion, competition is the base of American society. Everyone is trying to do better than his fellow man. Which is great because that means new inventions, new ideas, new leaders, just to name a few. Competition forces people to strive for a higher goal. People also base their success on the people around them. I know that because if I see someone around me moving up in the business world, it would motivate me to better myself.

I love competition, it defines someone as a person. If there was no competition in the world, no one would strive for perfection. Everyone would just settle for what they are or what they have. Competition has made me a better person because it makes me work for what I have.