Be faithful to the ones you love.

Lauren - Litchfield, New Hampshire
Themes: family, love, morality

I believe in being faithful to the ones you love.

In the United States, it is common knowledge that the divorce rate is quickly reaching fifty percent. Fifty percent- that’s half of all families in America, giving up, cheating, and walking out on each other.

My family, my parents in particular, are part of the other fifty percent, the half that stayed true to each other and fought through the hardships. Witnessing my parents love for one another, though it wasn’t always perfect, has instilled a strong belief inside me. I believe in being faithful to the ones you love, I believe that cheating is one of the most horrible things anyone could do to someone they love.

I abide by this rule every day of my life and it has been tested a time or two.

I have been with my boyfriend for three years, I know I am young but we are very much in love with one another. When I came to college in September I was faced with a whole new world of people to meet. This in turn challenged my morals and beliefs. During a holiday dance the school put on, there was a particular person who was interested in me. My friends were all dancing with their boyfriends or dates, having a blast. I was dancing with this one boy the whole night. I then realized I needed to stop; this boy wasn’t a nice guy. He was an upperclassman, a football player, and was not interested in being just friends. My heart was racing and I got this nervous feeling deep in my stomach. I quickly realized what was about to happen; I stopped dancing and walked away. I walked away from making a huge mistake and possibly losing someone in my life I love very much.

Being in this situation where I could have cheated on my boyfriend, lied to him, and kept a secret for as long as I wanted, caused me to realize how much I’m against cheating. I think it is the worst thing two people who are in a relationship could do to one another. Of course I am not against having friends that are boys; a majority of my friends at school are boys. However, I won’t ever put myself in that situation again.

I strongly believe that when two people are in love, cheating will cause so much heartbreak and pain. Witnessing my parents’ marriage of 25 years has proven to me that it’s possible to be faithful to those you love. I will never be unfaithful to my boyfriend, or future boyfriends I have.