When Your Luck Runs Out, Laugh!

Crystal - San Diego, California

By birth, I am suppose to be a very lucky person. According to the paper table-mats at my favorite Chinese restaurant, being born in the year of the rabbit means that I should be blessed with an enormous amount of luck. I was also born with a slight web between my ring and middle finger on my left hand. My Filipino grandmother would always assure me that it was a sure sign of luckiness.

Regardless of what Chinese and Filipino culture have to say, I still have times where I have very little or absolutely no luck. Fortunately, I’ve learned a great way to deal with those situations; laughter. I believe that when my luck runs out that laughter can turn my unlucky situation into something positive.

One of my most memorable times of unluckiness ironically took place on St. Patrick’s Day. That’s the day when I broke the shower. I didn’t actually break the shower. I was the poor, wet body in the shower when the handle broke. It just would not turn off. Horrified, all I could think about was how the bathroom would flood, and how I was wasting precious study-time for the midterm that was only a couple of hours away. I sloppily wrapped a towel around me, and jetted out to the garage. Grabbing a screwdriver, I returned to the tiny pool that my bathroom was quickly becoming.

For some strange reason, I thought that maybe the hidden plumber in me would miraculously emerge, and that I could fix the problem. Of course, that did not happen, and water continued to gush out of the shower-head. I was starting to feel frustrated, when I took one glance at myself in the mirror. Mostly naked, except for a towel that was struggling to stay on, screwdriver in hand, and water pouring over me, I was quite an amusing sight to behold. There was nothing too much to do now. So I just started to laugh.

Everything turned out fine that day. I turned off the water to the entire house, saving it from a flood, and I did not fail my exam. The best part of it all was that I did not have a bad day. I was not angry or frustrated. Not only did I enjoy a good laugh that day, but I was able to share an exciting, and bizarre story with my friends and family.

I’ve learned that finding the humor in those unpleasant moments can turn unluckiness into something enjoyable and positive. Life is full of unlucky moments, and I’ve faced the fact that I cannot always avoid them. Instead of feeling miserable, I try to laugh. If anything else, I can share my story with others and make them laugh with me. I’ve learned a way of exchanging a potentially bad day into a funny story worth sharing. I guess you could say that I am lucky.