Life Skills Class In Schools

Sarah - Tempe, Arizona

School is meant to educate as well as prepare people for the future. As a child progresses through school they are academically enriched. School gives people a chance to interact with peers, and learn about themselves. However, the education system through the United States lacks an important aspect. Students are constantly suffering from depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders, which should be a concentration within the academic process.

While math, English and science are all important subjects, students are not learning critical life lessons. As a student myself, I have benefited from the academic studies through school, however, I never learned how to cope and deal with other issues that are commonly encountered through life. I believe that school is a place that should prepare students for life in all areas, instead of just academic. There should be a required course in school where students learn how to deal with stress, depression and other important life skills.

I believe that students are suffering far too often with symptoms such as depression; however, they don’t know they have it, and don’t know how to deal with it. Recently in college, I had a friend that I learned was suffering with depression and was trying to fix it by cutting herself. I believe that if she had learned skills in school to deal with issues, it could have prevented this deadly cure that she came up with. I also would have been able to find ways to talk to her about it, instead of being clueless about the entire concept. Students, like my friend are constantly suffering from depression but don’t know the symptoms. I believe that a class that told students about issues such as this, and ways to deal with them could greatly benefit them.

While health class informs students about sex, drugs and alcohol, they don’t usually cover any topics such as anxiety, and self-destruction. Health is one of the most influential classes in school, where students learn the negative effects of things like alcohol. They also learn how to keep themselves safe, and are given alternatives to “say no.” Other important issues should be incorporated into health class, or given another class themselves. The education system within the United States must consider this, and find a way to incorporate life skills class into the academic schedule.