Making A Difference

Dionte` - Calumet City, Illinois

They always ask why? They say I won’t make much money. They say it will be hard to make a decent living. They say that in today’s society children are lost and no one can help them. They say I won’t matter. They say that my time and effort is not worth the inadequate salary. To them I say, it is not about the money, it’s about making a difference. I believe that the very thing that we are put on this earth to do is to make a difference and to leave the world a better place than how it found us. It is important to make an impact, thus, this why I decided to become a special education teacher. I want to teach children with emotional, behavior and learning disabilities.

I feel that children with special needs are unrepresented in education and no one cares. It saddens me to see the neglect and isolation that they receive. Often times, school and administration do not know how to deal with children that have special needs and the results of that can be very harmful. This summer I received an internship through a teaching foundation. The classroom I was placed in ranged from 2nd through 8th grade. At first I thought that since it was summer school that maybe they were in one classroom for a reason. Then I learned that it was like that during the regular academic year as well. Why is it that a second eight grader is in the same classroom with a second or third grader? Regardless of their disabilities, everyone is different but they are all seen as the same in the eyes of a lot of schools, teachers and administration. They simply do not know where to put them or how to properly educate them.

I am just one person but it starts with one person. I may be one person but I am apart of a foundation called the Golden Apple Foundation that reaches out to hundreds of teachers and future teachers yearly to be the best teacher they can be because we believe all children deserve excellent teachers. I will be the teacher to make a difference. I will be the teacher to give hope. I will be the teacher to understand when no one else does. I will be the teacher working on and off the clock for my students. I will be the teacher fighting for equality and freedom of speech. I will be the teacher my students look forward to seeing. I will be the teacher to make the change and this, I believe!