Rohan - Gurnee, Illinois

A couple days ago, I awoke from a deep sleep with the sound of my clock radio. As I took my first few steps toward the bathroom, my mind was still engulfed in the dream that I was having. When I turned on the light and began to wake up, I wondered to myself if that was real or just a dream. As I stood there looking at my self through the mirror, I wondered if the dream was just a dream or the life that I thought was real was a dream. After a couple seconds of pondering I realized that my reality was that I had to go to school in about an hour. I thought to myself how real that dream felt. It affected my emotions and all of my five senses. I believe that what I think and dream about are just as real as the people I see, the scents I smell, the objects I touch, the sounds I hear, and the foods that I eat.

Dreaming about something and making it into my reality is no different from believing in God, seeing dead people, or having an imaginary roommate at Princeton. If I were to ask somebody who goes to church if there was a god, they would abruptly tell me yes. They think and believe that god exist only between their ears which then becomes their reality. If I were to ask the kid from the “Sixth Sense” or Russell Crowe in “A Beautiful Mind” if Bruce Willis or the college roommate was real. They would also tell me yes. What I think and what goes on in my head will be my reality. If I dream about being shortstop for the New York Yankees, then that will become my reality just as god is for the family who goes to church.

Dreams help people go through life. People in the sixties took LSD to escape their realities of the Vietnam War and enter dreams of happy people and colorful objects. I dream to help me escape my dull life to go places that I will never be able to, eat food that I can’t afford, and hear music that hasn’t been created yet. I may not have a perfect life but at least I can imagine a life that is perfect and make it part of my reality.