Words From a Man That is True Cubby Blue

David - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: hope, sports

I believe the curse will be reversed. A burden carried and passed down by generations will vanish. Billy goats, black cats, and a man by the name of Steve Bartman will become things of the past. The ivy will be greener on the north side. A century will never seem so long and losers will never be loved by so many. I believe the Cubs will win the World Series.

How can I be so sure that the Cubs will break one of the most well known droughts in sports history? I along, with thousands, possibly millions of fans can feel it in our gut. We felt it last year, and the year before that we believed that it was going to happen. From the beginning of opening day each year, we can envision where we might be when October rolls around and the final out is secured, and 9 grown men will prance, leap, and celebrate hysterically like boys. Teammates will pile on one another and bury the failures of those that preceded them. No matter what the critics say, next year is always here.

There has never been a bandwagon for the Chicago Cubs. Losing never became fashionable, and winning surely has never gone out of style. Some teams will pay any price to win, but there is no salary cap high enough that will ensure a championship. The Cub’s players might even play for free if they would be guaranteed to be crowned champions of the world. In reality though, the players are paying the price. They pay with their sweat, discipline, and determination. It is their concentration and work ethic to come prepared each year so they can stand in the batter’s box and stare down the expectations, the scrutiny of the media, and the best efforts of their opponents, and knock them out onto Waveland Avenue.

When fans show up to Wrigley Field to cheer on their favorite team, many will say that they go because of tradition. Is the tradition that of building up hopes and dreams just to see them crumble at season’s end? Is the tradition just a certain day of the year that fans take off work to work on their tan while enjoying a hot dog and a cold beverage? The tradition is the experience of Wrigley Field. It’s knowing that Harry Caray is looking down on Cub nation during the 7th inning stretch, as the fans sway side to side, and harmoniously sing the theme song of our nation’s favorite past time. It’s giving back balls to the opposing team that mistakenly hit them over the ivy-covered wall in the outfield, and then scrambling for the souvenirs that the Cubs hit to the very same Bleacher Bums. This experience makes it easy to love the Cubs and never stop believing. The players can guarantee you nothing but the fans that form Cub nation will tell you time and time again, “It’s gonna happen.”