I BELIEVE IN EARTHISM

Ron - Hollywood Beach, Florida
Age Group: 65+

I am not a religious person but I believe there is a God. I believe Planet Earth is God.

I believe in my philosophy of Earthism. Earthism proclaims God is Earth and the only reason we were born is to live on Earth. Where would I be without Earth?

But Earth is not a Lord, King or super human Supreme Being demanding reverence

and devotion. Earth is a God that does not require rituals, prayers or any organization.

All my life the Gods humanity respected and prayed to have failed. If those Gods were so intelligent and compassionate, why have they allowed horrible wars, genocide and terrorism throughout history? Why have they permitted pain, suffering and inhumanity from the violent sacrifices of civilizations in all forms? Natural disasters and invented wars have heaped tragedies on mankind. When the chaos eases, Planet Earth eventually will help heal the devastation, re-create and inspire us. Earth makes the sacrifice, absorbs the trauma and becomes our savior. The God who has not failed me in my lifetime is Earth.

The great religions were founded on unity by remaining true to each and every version of their beliefs but it hasn‘t worked. Civilization is perilously endangered. Humanity is chronically ill from its centuries old plague of war. I believe war is mankind’s invented disease. If war is a disease what is the cure? The remedy could just be Earthism. Earthism believes sacrifice is the root cause of war and terrorism. Sacrifice is perceived simultaneously with despicable deeds and splendid deeds creating confusion in the mind and a contradiction of acts. The true power of a nation or militant organization is not money or weaponry but men and women ready to make the supreme sacrifice of their lives. Earthism considers every life precious enough not to unjustifiably sacrifice for any mythological god, religious leader, military commander or politician. Earthism can begin the immunizing therapy for world peace.

Pollyanna simplistic dream? I feel after 74 years of living on Earth studying complex religious wisdom, mankind is still terrorist prone and on the brink of global war. If nuclear button pushers or suicide bombers belong to any faith then religion has malfunctioned. Intelligent design cannot be considered intelligent!

The authenticity for Earthism is my realization while mankind has conceived

the means to destroy itself, Earth will survive with its awesome power to regenerate life perhaps centuries away from being formed because Earth is the ultimate creator,

our only realistic God.

Let’s change our thinking! Together, we can put the world’s resources to work for the most important human needs of equality, justice, dignity and a true brotherhood of man

on this paradise, this Earth. Let’s universally decide to make Earth God,

refuse to violently sacrifice our lives through loyalty to mankind,

help everyone live in harmony on an Earth that does not need to be worshipped,

then I believe humanity will finally achieve unity and perpetual peace through

Earthism: a non-religious compromise for the Twenty First Century.