Balance of Relaxation

Molly - Crystal Lake, Illinois

Our society, as a whole, is known to be very hectic and always on the go. The idea of “work to live, don’t live to work” seems to be fading further into the distance as having an education and a career have both become what people consider the most important things there are to achieve in life. I believe that if our society continues living this way and setting this example, the next generation and many to come after will evolve into a tense, overworked, closed minded group putting our society on a deadly track.

The fact that people are so obsessed with their work and succeeding in it is ironic because there are more recreational activities than ever before. These range from theme parks and movie theaters to outdoor activities such as hiking and boating. Many people would say that our current generation is one of the laziest because of the large amount of these recreational outlets. However, most of these outlets are located in suburban and rural areas which are not inhabited by the busy, work-obsessed people which need the relaxation the most. A majority of these people live in metropolitan areas where relaxation is not necessarily convenient.

Many people revolve their life around work which causes them to become not only tired, but most likely stressed. It is important for these people take time out of their hectic schedules and relax. Almost any activity that is not considered a hassle to a person can be titled as relaxing. It is important that these “workaholics” are equally as strict about their relaxation time as they are with their work time, demanding that nothing interrupt them while they take a break from their stressful lifestyle. Some people oppose this entire idea saying that relaxation is a waste of time, time that could be used for actually doing something and achieving a goal. However, the entire point of the relaxation is to counter balance the amount of work and stress these people endure which ideally results in the achievement of balanced lifestyle, both calm and productive.