My Silver Lining

Abbey - Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Many people think that teen pregnancy is bad, but I think it isn’t much different from an adult being pregnant. Well, I am one of those teens. Yes, if you haven’t noticed, I am pregnant. I will be six months in a little less than a week. I am having a baby girl, which I am naming Audrey. My due date is August 25 of this year. My fiancé, Adam and I are very excited and grateful for this blessing, although some people are not. But it doesn’t really matter to me what anyone else thinks, it only matters how I feel about it. After all it is my life, and no one else’s. Though some people may consider this a mistake or look down on me for it, I am completely happy about it.

I believe that there is a silver lining in everything, no matter how bad the situation may seem. I consider this, my daughter, to be my silver lining. My life isn’t perfect and I have made some wrong decisions, but who hasn’t? I don’t consider this a bad choice. I feel that this is a silver lining for me; something to kind of tie my life together and make it better.

Many people have many concerns about “Why teens shouldn’t have children”. They think that teens are young, stupid, and don’t know much about life. Some people say “They are too young” or “They don’t know anything about life yet” or “They are still children themselves”. Yes, I am still young, but that doesn’t mean I’m not smart. I have lived and learned things, but I don’t know everything, no one does. Being a mother for the first time is something that any woman has to learn. People also say that it is too hard for teens to handle motherhood. It’s something that is hard for any woman, not just teens. There is always something new or hard not just for teens, but for everyone.

There are some teens who get pregnant and don’t know what to do and many have abortions. They are either scared or don’t want the responsibility of being a mother yet. I strongly believe that abortion isn’t and shouldn’t be an option. I think it is wrong and selfish to kill another life, especially your own child. But people have their own rights and can decide what they want to do. There are other options than abortion, like adoption.

I will be a young mother, but I am looking forward to it. I know it is going to be hard and will take practice, but I am going to do my best to raise my daughter. I am grateful for my daughter, my silver lining.