I’m No Hero

C. - Casco, Wisconsin

I’m No Hero

I believe in Superman. I know it seems strange, as I am neither an adolescent boy, nor a comic book enthusiast. I am simply an ordinary teenage girl. However, I suppose I could say that what I believe lives in us all, or, at least, I hope it does. I guess that I could say that I believe in us, in our common interests and ability to look after one another. I believe what every would-be superhero believes; that what I say and do will help others, and that I can, in some strange way, save the world. I know that Superman is just a comic book character; he is not alive, but exists only within my head. That is enough. Superman, to me, has been more than just some random man in tights. He is hope. A strange, very different being from another planet, he is all alone. However, even though he has no real home, no real family, and cannot let anyone know who he really is, he is, without a doubt, good. Superman would never hurt anyone on purpose, and does not believe himself to be superior to us “Earthlings”. He chooses always to help others, and never lies, cheats, steals, or intentionally kills the bad guys. Whoever said that absolute power corrupts absolutely must not have meant it to apply to aliens. The situation of his life is bad enough to make anyone bitter and angry, but he chooses instead to help. I know that if I was constantly being attacked by shiny green stones and some bald evil maniac, that I would want revenge. I believe that if everyone were more like Superman, or even if I was, my life would have so much more impact; I would be a better person, and I could help others, too.

If a person were to look at me, they would see an ordinary girl. I am average in almost every sense, but if they looked at Superman, they would see someone special. Superman, however, is not. It seems a strange concept, I know, but in the terms of his own species, he is absolutely normal; no radiation, no genetic experiments, just a man. Think of that; a completely normal person doing extraordinary things. That, I believe, is why I find him so inspiring. I respect his constant belief in the good of the human race, even though he has seen it at its worst. Superman is seen as such a perfect person, the pinnacle of all that is good among humans, but he is not even human. The bad guy is. Perhaps, that is what he has taught me; deep down, maybe that is the lesson. It is our choices that define us; that I don’t need to be a hero, I just need to be good because that is what is going to make a difference, and that the tights don’t matter, and I would be just as special without the cape, and so would he. I have never read a comic book, and I may never get his symbol tattooed on my bicep, but I believe I can honestly say that I am one of Superman’s biggest supporters. I believe in him, and in his lesson, whether he meant to teach me or not. I take away from an extraordinary literary creation more than I ever expected to, because who can honestly say that they intended to learn life lessons from a man who wears his underwear outside of his pants? However, he has taught me. He has taught me that I am my own savior, and that I can help others to learn from him, too. This ordinary man who doesn’t exist has given me a fresh perspective on my own existence, and I will never thank him enough. If I, an ordinary person, can learn so much from a nonexistent hero, think of the lessons our real-life heroes are able to teach us. I encourage all to listen. Just think, if you have taken away anything at all from the simple thoughts of a fifteen year old girl, imagine what the special people will tell you. After all, I’m no hero.