The Way of Change

Emilie - Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Themes: change

I believe in the good change can do for me. It can make me happier, less insecure, or anything else positive, really. Everyone experiences change, and whether it’s good or bad, I allow myself make something of it. Of course, I wasn’t’ always like that. I used to let the bad change in my life put me in a horrible mood, and it would be a long time before I let myself be in a good mood again. Eventually I learned that change isn’t always a bad thing.

My grandma and my uncle who I was very close to passed away a few years ago and for a long time I was extremely sad, but I didn’t let it keep me down. After all, they wouldn’t want me to stay sad forever. So, what I did was let the change bring me closer to my family. It felt really good to be able to talk and laugh about all my precious memories. Plus, it was so much easier then crying all the time, and even though I still miss them more than ever, I don’t let their deaths become a weight on my shoulders.

A less serious change is the way I look or dress. Maybe this is strange, but even a simple change such as a new shirt or haircut can make me feel better about myself. I can actually go out in public and not feel like I’m the most ugly looking thing on earth. I also love to sing, so when I learn a new song or remember one from a long time ago, it’s stuck in my head all day and I can’t stop singing it. Trust me, the people who sit around me in my classes would know. A small change in music like that makes me happier than a lot of people may realize.

When I was in third grade we moved from Casco to Luxemburg. It wasn’t a big change, but enough to make a huge difference. I met a person who would come to be my best friend for the next three years of my life, and that never would have happened if I had stayed in Casco. I believe in the way of change. Life is full of changes, and it’s all about what you make of them.