Schoolwork – Not Homework

James - Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I strongly believe that students learn more doing school work in school than when they are expected to do school work at home. I believe that students learn less and don’t benefit much from teachers who give long assignments. A couple problems on each new matter is enough rather than a couple of pages on each new matter. In class, a teacher could spend the majority of the hour explaining the subject matter and use the rest of the time for the class to work on a few problems. The teacher could then walk up and down the aisle checking that everyone understands the assignments, even pointing out their errors along with setting them on the right track. At the end of the hour, everyone should turn in their work. This would force the class to do the work themselves and it also gives each member a chance to ask for individual help if they are confused.

I’m a freshman in high school and I’ve personally witnessed many classmates asking to share and copy each other’s work on a regular basis throughout the entire school year. These are students who have teachers who daily over load on assignments. Each friend will do one assignment, sharing it with all their friends which cuts down on homework time. These are good kids who are active in sports or other after school clubs, who do farm work, have after school jobs, or share quality fun time with their family and friends. They don’t want to cheat, but rather just want to fit it all into their tight schedules.

Take for example myself. I come home from sitting in school seven hours, eat a quick bite for supper and then do homework every night for at least four to five hours. I am not one who depends on others for help, and I work hard in school. I believe certain teachers are cheating me and fellow classmates, who do our own homework, out of our normal childhood activities with our family and friends. However, I do have one teacher who uses this method of teaching. All of my school work is done in his classroom, and I noticed that students learn much more from him than they do from others who believe in piling the homework.

Furthermore, I’ve seen some kids get homework which they didn’t understand, getting confused and frustrated to the point of giving up completely. I’ve witnessed these kids fool around in class, making it hard for everyone to learn. These are good kids who just need to be doing school work in school, not at home. I strongly believe students learn more from a teacher who gives them time to do all of their assignments in school