The Impact of Laughing

Elizabeth - Kewaunee WI, Wisconsin

I believe laughing is good for people. Laughing feels good, and it is good for a person even if the laughter is not real. Some people pretend to laugh. They don’t do this because they want to think a joke is funny. They know that laughing can lower blood pressure. One of the first times I learned that laughing can also be a healing process was from a movie. The doctor was making all the sick children laugh. I always feel better when I laugh. The time laughing doesn’t make me feel better is when a person is laughing at me. I feel as if I want to run away. That means my survival instinct has kicked in. It feels like the laughter is pushing me against the wall and I am trapped. It is one of the worst feelings in the world. When I was little, a teacher would say there is never a dumb question. I remember a time I asked a question, and everyone laughed. From then on I believed there are dumb questions. I do enjoy the times when my classmates purposely ask a dumb question to make everyone laugh. I think that making people laugh isn’t just for comedians on television. I am the comedian in my family. Most of the time all I have to do is smile at people, and they will laugh back. One of the most beautiful sights in the world is a baby laughing. I love when a baby laughs because I can’t help but smile, or even laugh, back. Laughing, like yawning, is contagious. One spreads sleepiness and the other happiness. When I am laughing, I am usually around others. When I am laughing with others, there is no anger. If the people of the world would laugh together, there would be no fighting. Laughing in the world is a sign that all people are connected. I believe that laughter could spread throughout the world like an epidemic.