You Can’t Please Everyone

Allison - New Franken, Wisconsin

I believe that I cannot please everyone all the time. Sometimes in life I come to those occasions that no matter what I decide to do I will be making somebody unhappy.

It was my birthday and my mom wanted to throw a big party with my family. That same weekend, one of my friends asked me to go to the Mall of America in Minnesota with her. Of course, I would rather spend my birthday at the mall with my friend than with my family. I told my mom this and she insisted that I spend the next weekend with my friend and this weekend at my party. I told her I couldn’t because my friend was going to Minnesota this weekend. My mom refused to reschedule the party so I was stuck. I knew what I wanted to do, but I felt bad leaving my mom after how much work she was going to be doing all for me. On the other hand, my friend and I had really been looking forward to his weekend for awhile, and I knew it would upset her if I just canceled on her.

No matter how hard I tried someone would get the short end of the stick. I tried to compromise, but everything just had to be on the exact same day. In the end I decided it’s my birthday and since I can’t please everybody I might as well pleased myself and I figured out that I will always be able to do something with my friends, but my family is only there for so long and I should spend the time I have with them wisely. It turns out my party was actually fun. We had fireworks and all my favorite foods. Sure, it wasn’t like being with my friends, but it was worth it in the end.

That is when I came to realize that you really can’t please everybody. Sometimes it’s hard but just follow your heart and in the end it will turn out in your favor.