Service for Meaning

Blair - Fort Worth, Texas

I believe in devoting my mind and heart to the service of others. Reflecting on important events of my life, those that stand out to me the most are the ones that involve me reaching out and helping someone. I also hold a place in my heart for memories of someone being there to support me. Imagining a world without service, help, support, or care is horrifying. It is definitely not a world in which I wish to reside.

I believe that service’s most threatening nemesis is selfishness. Choosing between satisfying my own selfish desires and putting them aside to make myself whole-heartedly available to others is a battle I struggle with daily. Sometimes it would just be easier to tell a friend I’m busy when they need to talk but all I want to do is curl up in bed and catch up on the programs TiVo so loyally recorded for me. But I don’t. I don’t ignore my friend’s cry to me because I know that service is what truly challenges the mind, strengthens the heart, and feeds the soul.

I believe that God put me on the earth to help others. I was born with a sensitive spirit that has developed into empathy through my years and experiences “growing up.” That is why I’m drawn to spend my life in a profession whose focus is on the service of humanity. Whatever career I end up in, I know I will be actively devoting my gifts to the advancement of human well-being. I will find meaning in my professional life by helping others reach their highest quality of life possible.

I believe that the world would be a dimmer place without my mother. Growing up with her as the primary female figure in my life taught me more about service than any book or lecture could. That’s the thing about many humanistic values; they must be lived before they can be understood. Looking back and trying to determine why and how my mom taught me so much about service, I can’t pinpoint one particular, outstanding event. It was the way she lived and loved every day. It was the way she put her family’s needs before her own 95% of the time. It was the way she loved her children’s friends like they were part of the family, always offering an open house to gather and play in. It was the way she cooked dinner for the family down the street every Wednesday for years after their mother died of cancer. It was the way she worked at the school district’s Alternative Program for incorrigible students and always managed to have kind words for them.

Thanks to my upbringing and realization that care for others is what makes the world go ‘round, service is something I value deep within my heart and strive to live each and every day. I believe in the service of humanity.