11:11

Courtney - Arlington Heights, Illinois

I believe in wishing at 11:11 every night. I have made it such a habit that I have an alarm on my cell phone to remind me. I remember grabbing a penny and throwing it in every fountain and wishing on every shooting star that one day I would be in a pool of cold salt water with a dolphin two inches away. But every time we went to Florida I was either too little, or my father didn’t want to pay for it. I never gave up. I knew one day it would happen. I still kept it as something I really wanted and would never give up on. It might have taken years but my family was in Florida for the first time in four years. Swimming with the dolphins wasn’t as important to me as it used to be. But my mother surprised me, and took me to Discovery Cove for the day. And I finally had my chance. On an early December morning at Discovery Cove my freshman year I got to swim, touch, and play with a beautiful bottle nose dolphin. And if that wasn’t enough one of them kissed me too! I felt so good to know the universe was on my side and keeping my hopes and dreams a possibility.

Swimming with a dolphin wasn’t monumental or life changing but it made me smile. So I never stop wishing. Every night I have a stream of wishes I just name off at 11:11 because why wish for only one thing like money or wealth when you have an entire minute! There are so many times I have been pleasantly surprised by a wish come true, and it just amazes me how lucky I am. If it’s for a chance with a boy I like, getting along with my friends, or just having a fun good day with no worries and memorable moments.

It’s not so much about asking and receiving, it is knowing what you want and putting it out there. There are people in your life that want to make you happy and there are things that are just meant to be. And when you want something enough the universe has a way of working its magic and helping you, by putting it in reach. Like a little prayer to God, 11:11 is there to make you happy, and to help fulfill dreams. I’m amazed everyday how much that I wish for finds me. Maybe I’m a lucky person, but I will never stop wishing because wishes do come true.