Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Kayla - Arlington Heights/IL/60004, Illinois

I believe that actions speak louder than words. I’ve always been taught… it’s what you do, not what you say. It takes a much more courageous, stronger, better human being to go out and take action about something they believe in. Sitting back and complaining about something is going to do nothing in our favor. If we are a firm believer in something, we should go out there and do something about it.

In this world, there are the people who sit back and let things happen… and then there are those who take action. The people who sit back and let things happen are most likely not going to ever take action. We sit around saying, “Oh this genocide in Africa is terrible… they need help.” While others are heading off to Africa to help those children.

This year at my school, my eyes were completely opened when a group of college students visited telling us about their experiences with the “invisible children.” They came in to talk to us about going to Africa and spending time with the kids there. They showed us videos and documentaries about the children. It literally brought a tear to my eye. They brought so much happiness to them just by visiting and giving their time to be there. They even set up a foundation where all the proceeds go straight to those kids. They tried to appeal to the teenage eye by selling bracelets to us.

Imagine what our world would be like today if it weren’t for those people who expressed their beliefs. No Martin Luther King, no Rosa Parks, no Brown Vs. Board Of Education. Not only would there still be harsh racism/hostility today, but there would be no cures for diseases, wars, and many things would have little to no change. Our world would just be the same. There would be people starving, people dying, and people completely helpless with no one that cares. Martin Luther King took a stand for what he believed in. And he is considered by many… a hero. It really didn’t take much either. He just went out there and gave his, “I have A Dream Speech,” and people’s lives were changed forever.

So, go out there and take a chance. Make a stance. Let everyone know what you believe. We may not think it will change anything, but every little thing can help.