Every Person Teaches You a Lesson

Amber - Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I believe that every person in your life teaches you a lesson. Throughout my life, I’ve moved so many times, I’ve met so many different people, every single one of those people has taught me something. When I turned eight, I moved in with my mom in Two Rivers, I met new people, I thought that was where I wanted to stay for the rest of my life. Four years later, I moved in with my dad, that’s how I got where I am now, and here, I feel like this is truly, for sure where I belong. I had a bunch of friends back there, the day my dad came to pick me up to leave, all my friends cried, told me they’d call me everyday, and come visit me. None of them did any of that, they taught me that the people you thought were your best friends, and were going to be there forever aren’t always what you thought they were.

My mom, she taught me that something you thought was a mistake could one day turn out to be the best decision you’ve ever made. She went through a lot as a 15 year old, a pregnant sophomore, she had to think twice about what she really wanted, and obviously, she chose to have me. She always tells me that I was that one best decision, and she’s so proud of me. Yet, she gave up on me 12 years later, so she also taught me that just because they’re your parent/s doesn’t mean they have to take care of you, and love you.

My step-mom, she taught me that no matter who it is, you should always be nice, or respectful to people. No matter how rude or mean people are to her, she is always respectful and kind, unless you really push her off the edge, then she gets pretty mad.

My dad taught me not to care what people think, all that matters is what you think of yourself, because the people around you that criticize you, might not be here tomorrow, or ever again. He does, and likes what he wants, not letting anyone get in his way. So I believe that every person teaches you a lesson.