A Different Little Mind

Sarah - 94523, California

I believe that it is when you truly want something that you finally can achieve your goal.

When I was in my French elementary school, I was always left behind no matter if it was in classes or with my classmates. My twin sister, Tara, who was successful during her entire school career, was proof that I was somehow different compared to the others. My teacher and my family thought that I just didn’t understand anything and my classmates didn’t even consider me. Nobody really thought that I reacted like any other child of my age. My teachers wrote on my school card that I was dreamy and not enough concerned about class. They talked to me like I didn’t understand anything for the reason that I never talked in class and that I was isolated. Every time we received our school report it was made in public in front of the whole class by the principal, and I remember the principal looking at me like I was a lost cause. Once I had to sign my school report at home I received the same look by my parents because compared to my sister’s report where it was noted that she was the first of her class, mine looked like a disaster. It is at this time that I truly realized that I was underestimated and that maybe people have those prejudices because I didn’t give them the chance to see me in another way. I also remembered all this time when my mother asked me I why didn’t do things like Tara and I answered that I couldn’t but my mum looked at me and replied by saying “It is not that you can’t it is that you don’t want to because when you want sweetie, you can.” When my mum told me this sentence scared me to see that I couldn’t think about anything that I wanted. I realized later that what I wanted at this specific time was recognition and especially from my mother.

Once I went to middle school I truly decided to change and to show everybody who knew me as a “loser” that I was as good as them and even better. I worked like I never had, I participated like I never did, and I started to go to my new classmates and try to change my social condition. I was the teachers’ favorite and my popularity increased like I never experienced. For my parents, it was somehow different because even if they were always disappointed I understood with the time that they always knew I had potential. After this first experience, every time I really wanted something I thought about what my mother told me, apply it, and then succeed my goals.

At this point I have for goal to transfer to my dream school UC Berkeley and I am doing everything in my power to achieve this new goal. Because in my life, whenever I have a goal or maybe a dream that I truly want to realize I hold on to it until it becomes truth.