sean - bay point, California

Something that is troubling is just over the horizon of our shores that continues to manifest itself into a monster, whose consumption is voraciously desecrating the oceans of our planet. One day people will wonder why action wasn’t taken long before it affected them. I’m writing about the misappropriation of our oceans resources, that may become exhausted without enacting stringent regulations and change of habits from human consumption.

As a child growing up in California, I never believed in my lifetime I would ever see our natural resources depleted to the levels they’re at today. How did it get this way and why weren’t drastic measures taken earlier to take care of the resources we treasure. Our supply of seafood now pales in comparison to stocks taken from only a decade ago. Unfortunately the magnitudes of these events are not just happening locally but globally. As someone that has personally seen the depletion of fishing stocks over the years, I can honestly say with some merit that our desire for seafood is inflicting irreversible damage to the oceans. The fishing techniques used today have resulted in merciless destruction of species of fish that aren’t market driven. Where most of the damage is coming from the commercial fishing industry, when long liners and bottom draggers pillage in their effort to harvest the sea. Unfortunately because of the indiscriminant nature of the nets, dolphins, sharks and others are caught in the nets only to be drowned and thrown overboard as unsellable waste. Every year record amounts of fish are being harvested, roughly100 million tons a year globally which doesn’t take into account the wasted varieties. The position between fishermen and conservationists over our oceans inhabitants has become a very volatile subject over time, but due to the high demand for seafood, our leaders are unwilling enforce standards that protect the fish. We see the decline in the numbers of wild salmon caught locally, so the United States Department of Fisheries were forced to close the entire northern seaboard in hopes the salmon species would recover. Although the fishermen have recognized the urgency for the closure, their belief is that the government is interfering with their lively hood and feel the need to be compensated for their lost wages. However this has not stopped them from constant assault of other less popular species. Due to the unwillingness to make sacrifices for the good of the ocean, the actions of fishermen will likely doom the future generations of all oceans species.

We are in a desperate fight for the survival of many ocean species of fish and unless major regulations are adopted by countries around the world, the commercial fishing industries will continue to destroy the sea life by the millions. As populations of ocean inhabitants continues to decrease we as individuals can contribute by controlling our demand for seafood by adjusting our desire for fish, which potentially could save several million tons annually..