Unsuperpowered, But Just As Good

Mario - isleton, California

I believe in the hero, the kind of hero that everyone in any way shape or form can become.

Since a young age I have been glued to the television. Cartoon superheroes have always fascinated me. It’s not there super strength or their super speed but it is the way they put the lives of total strangers above their own. Superheroes help anyone in need no mater how simple or daunting the task. The moral code that they follow has been instilled in to my heart, granted I haven’t saved someone from a burning building but I ask you do you have to in order to become a hero? Is there an arbitrary line dictating where the real hero starts? Most superheroes have mortal beginnings and the only difference between is their superpowers

I consider my friends my heroes and they saved me not from terrorists or from any drug but from a dark depression. My friends were at the time seventeen and they were no different then any teen at the time. All that my friends new was that there was something wrong and little did they know that I was cutting myself and push safety pins through my arms. They put more interest in me and cared enough to not stop when I pushed away. When that happened my group of friends and I started share stories, we rely stated connect. It is what helped me to work through the pain. They saved me from myself and for that they gain hero statues.

After my depression I took it upon myself to try and help those around me. I now notice when people are off center. It sounds like nonsense but when I talk to friends, family and sometimes strangers I can pick up on the little things in a voice or a change in their mannerisms. It’s my own “spidy” sense. I’m the unsuperpowered Spiderman, I can’t shoot webs or climb buildings but I can sense when something’s wrong. I know for a fact that I have helped friends and family with this gift, even though they would not admit it to me directly. Like Spiderman I also help with the little things, the things common sense would dictate that people don’t do any more. I call it being the nice guy. It’s when you hold the door open for a woman with a child or help an elderly couple. At this point in time there has been a shortage of this but like Spiderman I aim to change the world.

When I look at the world I don’t see different races or religions I see I world in need of a hero. I see a world that would be a pleasant place to live if just one more person would be a hero. I believe in a world brimming full of potential and a world full of heroes.