The Year I Thought the Pattern Would End

Sara - Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Themes: death

Two years ago last Christmas, my grandpa died. We knew it was going to happen, but we didn’t know when or where. He had been sick the whole year before with cancer, and the doctors tried everything to fix it but eventually it was his time to go.

In my family it seems every year since 2000 something happened to one of my relatives, even if they were just married into the family. In 2000 my Uncle Wayne died, and then the following year my Uncle Steve was diagnosed with leukemia, then in 2002 he died. In the next year my Uncle Gerry, who married into the family, received the news that he had cancer. That following year, 2004, he died.

Now we were all wondering who was going to get sick and die, which was a very scary thought of what could happen and who it could happen to. Well 2005 came and my grandpa was diagnosed with cancer, and everyone was thinking why does this have to happen to our family. In 2006 he was still sick, but we thought he would make it to 2007 and get us out of this terrible pattern. No such luck my grandpa died on Christmas Eve of 2006.

Now we are all still wondering what is going to happen this year, 2008. Every since my grandpa died, my grandma has been really depressed. She has been in the hospital, in a nursing home, and in an assistant living, and now she is back in the hospital and everyone is worried she will be the next one to leave us before the end of 2008. We are all praying as much as we can, so that my grandma is not the next one to leave us. I believe that my grandma will get better and break this horrible pattern we are in. If she doesn’t we will still be in this pattern, but I believe that eventually our family pattern will come to an end, but I hope it is soon rather than later.