Non-smoking Restaurants

Timothy - Valparaiso, Indiana

Non-smoking Restaurants

Smoking ban in restaurants. This has been a pretty big topic, especially in Porter County with Valparaiso having a smoking ban in all restaurants. I know a lot of smokers are very mad about it also, but the city is just trying to make restaurants a healthy environment. I believe that smoking bans in restaurants should be in place so that non-smokers do not have to deal with second hand smoke.

I work at a restaurant in Valparaiso and we have a bar that had smoking until the city passed a smoking ban in restaurants. People did try and come into the bar and smoke, but we would have to tell them that there is no smoking anymore. First the customers were not too happy about it and some left but if you work in a restaurant or manage or own, if the restaurant’s food is good, and the quality of the food is good, then those customers should return. That is what happened when our customers left for the night. They would come back another day anyways because they love the food that the restaurant makes. The customers can still smoke but they will have to go outside in front of the restaurant, and we do not mind if they want to take an ash tray with them, and actually I would recommend that they do so that they do not get the cigarettes on the sidewalk.

We would also have many complaints about the smoking before the ban. There would be so much smoking in the bar that the cigarette smoke would make its way into the main dinning room. Second hand smoke is very dangerous and people die from it all the time. I have asthma and I dreaded going into the bar when there was heavy smoking in there and the heavy smoke would sometimes affect my breathing. Though, if it was only one or two people smoking then I would not mind, but I do not speak for others because other people’s asthma maybe more serious. If a more serious asthmatic person breaths the second hand smoke, that may result in a life threatening situation. That is was I believe in.