Music Equals Life

Trey - Wanatah, Indiana

Recently I had the pleasure of experiencing an all expenses paid by me, two day stay in the Hospital. I was severely dehydrated and needed fluids pumped into me. On this two day vacation, the only thing that kept me from going out of my mind with boredom was my mp3 player and the hundreds of songs saved on it. When I was bored the music entertained me, when I was in pain the music soothed me, when I was angry with the numerous needle pokes into my vein, at all hours of the day, the music calmed me.

I believe that music is the root that holds all things in life together. It has the power to alter moods, to speak to you individually, and to bring people together.

I’ve been through a few break ups so far in my short life, and the one thing that seemed to help ease the pain, wasn’t my moms comforting words, or friends trying to cheer me up. It was the music, it didn’t matter what I was listening to, but it took to me somewhere else.

Today I am a student at Purdue North Central, and everyday I can be seen walking around campus with my headphones in my ears and music blaring, (probably too loud.) Music gets me through the day, it has the capabilities to relax me from a hard day at work; to relieve the stress from school and everyday life. Music is involved every time I study, do homework; and especially every time I get behind the wheel of my car. In

fact, I am listening the same mp3 player full of music that got me through the hospital stay, as I write this essay.

There are many different styles of music, and I enjoy many of them. Some music is good to listen to when you’re angry and helps vent out frustration. Some music is good to listen to when you are in love and a certain feeling is cast for those in love listening. Some music is all around upbeat and joyful and should be listened to during times of rejoicing to bring people together. Other styles of music help express one’s self and show how someone is feeling. There is a style of music that fits every possible human emotion, and everyone should use music to get through them. This is why music equals life.