The belief of independence and inner strength

Courtnie - griffith, Indiana

As I child I watched my mother walk out on my drug induced alcoholic step father with fourteen dollars in her bank account, three children to care for, no place to live, and a crappy job. My step father’s last words to her were “you’ll never make it without me!” At first we moved in with my grandfather, and when we could finally afford it we move into a small apartment.

I listened to people tell my mother that she would never make it without a husband, she would never amount to anything in life, and that her kids would be taken away from her. At first it was hard, I watched my mother starve her self so she could feed us kids, and I watched her cry herself to sleep because she was scared of what would happen. My mother never listened to the negative things people said about her, she looked deep inside of her self and knew she would find away. My mother eventually made it to college, and graduated on the Deans list and with honors. When she was done with school she became a nurse. My mother was always scared but never gave up; this is why I believe in independence and inner strength.

My mother always told me while I was growing up that I would get an education, and become an independent person, I would never rely on a man to support me. She also always told me, and still does to this day, that if you believe in your self that anything is possible. My mother is not perfect by any means she has made many mistakes in her life, but one thing she did do right was making sure I grew up with the knowledge that I could do anything in life, and I could do it on my own. These words have gotten me through think and thin.

Now that I am almost 20 years old and in college, I pass these words on to everyone I know. I think that no matter what god throws at you in life, if you truly look deep inside of yourself and believe that you can do it, and you can do it on your own even when everyone is telling you that you will fail, you can accomplish anything.