Confidence is key

Amanda - Portage, Indiana

Recently, I was sifting through the massive amounts of clothes I have accumulated throughout my teenage years, taking a look at the fads, trends, and miscellaneous other articles of clothing that I would never think of wearing again. I came across one pair of pants, however, that caught my eye. I believe they were from maybe three years ago, but still seemed perfect in condition and looked like something I could potentially start wearing again. Excitedly, I lifted up the pair of pants and put them on; one leg at a time (as most people do) and everything seemed fantastic until I got to my hips. I tugged, I pulled, and I sucked in, but I could not get these pair of pants to wiggle up past those damn hips. I slid them off sadly, looked at them and I wondered how I could have widened THAT much over the past three years. For a second, I felt fat. Almost immediately afterwards, however, I realized that I have never been more content with my body as I am now.

I see the magazines at the grocery store about losing 10 pounds here, 20 pounds there, and I know that most department stores won’t carry a feminine, pretty bra in my size. I’m okay with that. Females all over are starving themselves, not only of food, but of self-worth, for the sake of what everyone seems to think is normal. I don’t feel that way. I have learned to not only love, but to embrace my curves, for those are what make me a woman. Women are meant to have hips, and breasts, and thighs, and heaven forbid, a waist. I’m not saying that losing weight to be healthy is a bad thing, but losing weight solely for vanity purposes is just a waste of precious time that could be used to better the inside rather than the out. I would much rather be curvy, confident, and happy, than slim and miserable. I feel good about myself, not only on the outside, but the inside as well.

I believe that one of the most powerful and influential weapons a woman can have is love for herself and for her body. Self-confidence is key in getting ahead in life, and if more women just learned to accept, embrace, and love themselves, there would be an exponential growth in the rise of women all over. After all, if you can’t learn to love yourself, how can you expect anyone else to love you in return?

You know how men like to brag about their shoe sizes? I’ve seen men boast about their size twelve’s to their friends as if it was some sort of an accomplishment. Well, I like to brag about my size twelve’s too, except it’s sure as hell not my shoe size. I’ll give you one hint: Levi’s.