I Believe in the Power of Dance

Megan - St. Anthony, Indiana

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve dreamed of being a dancer. As I grew up, dance became a huge part of my life, and still is. I am a freshman in college and I’m a member of my college dance team. I have been dancing on teams for seven years. So, people would say, dance is my life. The switch from high school to college dance was a huge step. This has defiantly been a life changing experience. I have made so many new friends from being on a dance team.

Dance is not just dance. Dancing takes a lot out of a person; whether it is energy, skills, or leadership. Good leadership skills are hard to come by sometimes. The new leadership responsibilities of teaching a team of girls dances, leading them in stretches, and making up dances the team performs at games is a whole new experience for anyone. These are the activities that a captain is responsible for. This is a huge part of a dance team.

It makes a person stronger both mentally and physically. People do not understand that dance is as much a mental activity as a physical one. Physically, dance has a toll on your body. Mentally, dance makes a person feel responsible and confident. Confidence will not only be mental but when a person feels more confident, they show it more on the outside. Confidence will help in other parts of your life. It is like killing two birds with one stone.

Dance is very powerful. It can be for fun, competition, or even for work-out. Everyone can dance; whether you are five or ninety-five. It keeps you in shape and can also be fun. It does not matter what type of dancing a person does, it is what you are feeling you are in the mood for. Dance can make your life a better place to be. Dancing is an amazing experience for me that I would not change for anything. My advice is to turn on the radio or CD, and just dance!