I Believe In Laughter

Christina - Otterbein, Indiana

Two muffins are sitting in an oven. One muffin says to the other muffin, “Man, It’s HOT in here!” The other muffin gasps and says “O my goodness, a talking muffin!” This joke forms the foundation of my belief. I guarantee that if you didn’t laugh at this, you at least chuckled at how silly you thought it was.

So what is it I believe? I believe in getting the giggles, laughing till you cry, and finding humor in everyday life. As a college student, I feel pressure everyday to get papers done, read hundreds of pages in textbooks, study for tests and just deal with life. I feel so stressed out during the day that every chuckle, giggle and bout of laughter is my personal escape.

As I have grown up, I have found, as I hope most people do, that feeling happy is WAY more enjoyable than being sad, and I try to apply that in every aspect of my life, the good parts as well as the bad. The hardest thing I have ever dealt with was the death of my Grandma Maggie. As I sat beside her hospital bed, where she laid recovering from the surgery that was a last resort and would ultimately prove ineffective, she looked over at me. She smiled and stuck out her tongue. I had to laugh, and she softly chuckled. This small gesture of humor did not make me forget she was sick, but it did make me feel less sad about the situation.

The day of her funeral was the saddest day of my life. I cried with my family, but crying didn’t help me, it was when I thought of the funny things we had done or the fun we had together that made the difference. I thought of when she used to stick out her tongue and touch her nose, I thought of how competitive she was about bingo, and how she thought that a big pink stuffed Easter bunny would look absolutely amazing on my bed in my dorm room.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with life, and I know what works for me. I laugh. I get the giggles. I laugh till my stomach hurts, and laugh until I cry. I find the humor in life.