The Reason Why

Elizabeth - Evansville, Indiana
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I believe that everything happens for a reason. In seventh grade, I decided to try out for the cheerleading squad. I took many tumbling and technique classes to help me prepare. On the day of tryouts, I was told by many of the other girls trying out that I was “so good” and had nothing to worry about, that I would definitely make the squad. It turned out that I didn’t make the team, and I was devastated. I didn’t understand why I didn’t make it when everyone was so sure that I would. I told myself that for the whole next year, I was going to work extremely hard and try out again for the eighth grade team. So, just as I had planned, I worked hard all year long and ended up making the squad. As I think about it now, by not making the squad that first year, it made realize that the reason I didn’t make it was so that I could become a stronger person and know that if I push myself, I can achieve many things.

Some reasons come more quickly than others. At the beginning of the school year, I applied for a job at a clothing store. I received a call from them asking me to come in for a group interview. The interview went very well, I thought, but I never heard back from them. I was disappointed at first until I came across an employment opportunity at a company that helps mentally disabled adults. They were looking for a community consultant. I called the number and had an interview the next day. I was hired on the spot. I still currently work at this company, and I enjoy it very much. I love going to work each day knowing that I am helping an individual that truly needs my help. By not receiving the job at the clothing store, I was able to get one that is leading me into the career that I intend to do.

About two years ago, my boyfriend at the time and I broke up. I was going off to college, and we just decided that it would probably be best. Our relationship was nearly perfect, and I never imagined finding anyone as good as him until last July. I met a guy, and it turned out so much better than the last one. He is just amazing, and I can’t imagine living without him.

Each time that I am faced with a failure or I question “Why me?” I push myself to continue on because there is a reason that it didn’t turn out the way that I had hoped for. It sometimes takes awhile before I understand the real reason, and sometimes I will never know. Usually, though, my failures open a new door that brings a brighter future.