Words Speak as Loud as Actions

michael - evansville, Indiana

Words Speak as Loud as Actions

This I believe, that words can speak just as loud as actions. It all happened one hot summer day in Georgia. I was out on the lake with my family riding around in the boat. We had gone on a picnic earlier and we were making our way back to the dock. The first time I got in the boat I found out that there were a few jobs that I had to do because I was younger and could move around good. I always helped everyone get into the boat, or at least held the boat close to the dock so the other people could get in.

I always feel like I am helping out when I do this and I like that feeling. We pulled into the dock that afternoon and I got in the front of the boat. I caught the dock and held the boat there. My family got out of the boat and everyone made it onto the dock safe and sound. I was talking to my granny and standing around when I saw another boat pulling into the dock. I was wondering how they would do docking, since they didn’t seem to have someone like me on the boat to help catch it from hitting the dock. Just as they were about to hit the dock my uncle went over to them and caught their boat. He held it in place while they tied it off and then he turned around and came back over.

I couldn’t understand how the thought came to him so fast to help them. I wondered what was different in him that made him think of that before me. Then in the middle of my thoughts my granny starts talking to me. It was like she was reading my mind. She said, ‘Your uncle is one of the nicest people she has ever meet, he would do anything for anybody he could, just because he felt it was the right thing”. I couldn’t understand that at the time, but today I feel very strong about what happened then. My uncle changed my life by his action in helping those strangers with their boat. But had it not been for my granny explaining the situation to me, then I would have never really known what had just been done. Every time I hold a door for someone or do something nice for someone, I think of my uncle catching that boat and help those strangers out. I feel like that is the right way to be and my uncle is a leader by the example he has set for me. I hope to one day be the man that my granny can say, will honestly do anything he can to help others out.