The amazing power of me

Derrick - hanna, Indiana

I believe in me. Now I know how completely and utterly selfish this sounds. It also sounds very simple. How can I not believe in me, I obviously exist! I guess what I’m more clearly trying to say is, I believe in the power of me.

I have power through my words. My words have the power to meme or to heal, to nurture or to insult, to inspire or destroy all with a single word. My words hold an incredible power that only I am responsible for.

I have the power to manipulate my own world. I, and only I, hold this power. This power has not been given to some all knowing, all seeing, all powerful invisible being in the sky. It has been given to me and me alone. I choose to make my life better or worse. I choose to light that cigarette every day. I choose to study, and get the grades necessary to pass my classes, or to procrastinate and fail. I choose to spend my money on things that I don’t really need or to pay my bills. I make these decisions, not someone else. Every second of every day I make a decision that alters the future. With an impact like that how can anyone else control my destiny?

I hold all these powers in the palm of my hand and just like Spider-Man this “great power comes with great responsibility”. I must use these powers not just for the good of me but for the good of all around me. If I choose to drink and drive, because I have to get home, I am endangering every person that comes near me on the road. This is an abuse of the power I have been given.

I am not the only person who has been given this amazing power. All of us have these amazing abilities. To utilize them, though, one must recognize that the power lies within them and not some unseen force that has already mapped out their destiny. Shrugging your shoulders and saying “This is the way it was meant to be.” is not enough. When what one really needs to do is get off their butts, take responsibility, and do what is needed to make the change in their life. Until one does these things they are the biggest obstacle that they must overcome.