Sports Teams Helps Build Many Life Skills

Cierra - Knox, Indiana
Themes: sports

I think that being on a sports team helps build some important life skills; this I believe. Sports teams teach an individual teamwork, trust, dedication, reliability, hard work, and time management skills. All of these things are used throughout ones whole life. Whether it’s in a job, family, or school; these different attributes are used.

During high school I was on a Varsity cheerleading team. Doing a sport definitely helped with my time management skills. I had to juggle my school work with my practices and games; but I always found ways to get it all done. I just had to decide which one was on the top of my list of priorities. This was going to be important when I became an adult and got a job. I wasn’t going to be able to go out and have fun during the week when I had a deadline or something I needed to get done for work.

In cheerleading, one of the most important things is to trust one another. We did a lot of high level stunts; and teamwork and trust helped us work together to achieve everything we did. At games we would impress the opposing team with how easily we made it look when it was impossible for others. When going up in the air, the person has to trust the people underneath her; especially when trying new things. Also everyone in the group has to have to same timing. This is where teamwork comes in, if one person is off the stunt will not go up. However, this doesn’t only apply to stunts. Dancing, cheers, and jumps are all done together. When someone is off it makes the whole team look like they don’t know the material. It is more impressive when a group of 25 people are all doing the same intricate components of a routine and make it look easy.

Some other important qualities for an athlete to have are dedication and reliability. In cheerleading everyone has a specific part. This means in formations, dances, cheers, and in stunts. When someone is missing it is hard for the rest of the team to do their part. All the different components of a routine require everyone there to complete it. This includes all sports teams. Cheerleading along with every other sport also requires practice time before a game or meet. When someone is not present at practices they will not know what to do during a game. It takes a lot of dedication to give most of your time to a sport. However, this all pays off when the crowd cheers and yells for your performance.

Teamwork, trust, dedication, reliability, hard work, and time management skills are used in everything you do. An athlete uses them for the thrill during a game and hearing the screams of the home crowd when the football team scores a goal, a basketball team scores a basket, or when a cheerleading team hits a high level stunt. When you have a job these attributes can be used to get a promotion, or being with a spouse and growing a family. So being on a sports team helps build the person you become; and helps you achieve everything throughout your life. This I Believe!