Choices

Brittni - LaPorte, Indiana

Choices make up a huge part of our daily lives. You choose what you will wear that day, what you want for lunch, and how you will spend you free time. Having to make choices has always been a major issue for me. This is why I believe in indecisiveness…I think.

There are just too many choices to be made in the world. Some are simple ones, like what movie you want to watch that evening, but then some are much more extreme. My grandpa had cancer when I was twelve years old. It was a huge shock to the entire family.

Several choices had to be made to help prolong his life, and even eliminate the cancer altogether. He needed a bone-marrow transplant. The choices were simple; he could get a transplant from one of his children, or find a non-related donor. The mother and uncles were quick to offer to help their father.

They had to be tested to see who was a match to my grandpa. There was also a chance that neither of them was. In the end, my mother was the one who made the donation. She was the only match. She didn’t hesitate one bit in deciding whether or not she would donate, and personally, I wouldn’t have either.

Through the course of my grandfather’s recovery, you could see the appreciation in his eyes of my mother’s generous choice. Today, he is alive and well. In fact, he still can’t thank my mother enough for helping him in his most dire of needs, and he truly appreciates the offer from my uncles as well.

Choices are an important part of life. The choices we make not only affect our lives, but also the lives of everyone else around us. The choice one individual makes can drastically change the outcome of many events. My mother’s choice helped to eliminate my grandfather’s illness. Though I still believe in indecisiveness, I also believe in making the right decision when the time comes.