Julie - Chesterton, Indiana
Themes: sports

Sitting at my friend Deborah’s house, we pulled out some old pictures and started looking at them. After we began looking at them for a while we noticed that more than half of that big pile of pictures had something to do with softball. In the pictures, we were either at a softball tournament, practice, or a softball party. It took us a short time to notice that because of softball we met when we were four and have been best friends since then. Softball has taught me a lot in life and about life. The values that it teaches you are those that you can keep for a lifetime.

Being in softball I have met all different kinds of people. I have met girls from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and south of Indianapolis. The best thing about this is that I am still friends with most of them; living so far away it is hard to stay in touch with all of them. The friends that I have now from softball are going to stay my friends for life. When you meet all these new people, you learn teamwork and how to get along. You also develop a very good attitude, this being because you have to have a good attitude to accomplish anything in any sport.

Something else I learned from softball is discipline. I learned this quite a bit growing up, specifically from one coach. He was so disciplinary that many parents would take the girls off his team and did not want their girls playing with him. My parents however thought it was great. I stayed on his team for about 13 years. He taught me everything I know about softball and a lot about life. Being on his team back then might have seemed like hell, but looking back now I can honestly say he is my idol. Discipline is a big item to have in life, discipline to get the job done, discipline to be able to yell at your kids when you need to, and just discipline on yourself. I can say I learned all of that from softball.

One of the biggest life values I think I learned from softball however is to applaud other people. If you go to a softball game, the dugouts are never quiet. No matter if you are on defense or offense somebody is always cheering on one team or the other, and it is not for them. They are cheering for somebody else, hoping that that person succeeds. They also bring somebody up, even if they just contributed to losing the game. This is the best value you can learn for life, in my perspective, to be able and applaud somebody else for their good-doing or picking them up when they are down.

For all of these reasons, I do believe that values that softball teaches you are those that you can keep for a lifetime. You meet new friends, learn discipline, applaud teammates, develop teamwork, and meet life-long friends. I do believe I am a better person from playing softball my whole life. This I believe.