The Pursuit of Happiness

Paul - Wanatah, Indiana
Themes: hope

The Pursuit of Happiness

Besides being very successful in their fields of interest, what do these four men have in common: Bill Gates, Michael Jordan, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Mahatma Gandhi? They did not share the same business proposal, number of NBA titles won, civil rights actions, or peace vision. They did not come from the same state, have the same middle name, and I don’t believe they even met each other, but they all have one thing in common, and that is a dream.

The United States was founded on the dream of fifty-six men who signed the Declaration of Independence. According to the fourteenth amendment every man is entitled to these three inalienable rights “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” Ever since the signing of this historical national document the United States has grown into one of, if not the most successful countries in the world.

I believe in dreams. Whether we do or we do not accomplish our dreams, we all have one, and we’re always chasing after it. I have always had the dream to finish high school and college with a high grade point average, have a financially secure job, and be happily married once I am ready for it. My dream may not be the most interesting but the point is that I do have one, and I am striving each and every day to accomplish it.

Without dreams where would any of us be? We would live in a world without determination, diligence, motivation, and satisfaction. Think about that for a moment, there would be nothing of interest for anyone and no one would ever make anything of themselves.

We need our dreams. Dreams are what keep us moving each and every day. I know for me my dream is what makes me get up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 8:00 AM to make it to English class in time, or at least right after the lecture begins.

No matter how young or old you are we all have a dream, and we know what that dream is. Some dreams may be more difficult to achieve than others, some dreams may never be achieved, but the important thing is that we always keep pushing, keep fighting, never quit, and maybe even get lucky every once in a while to accomplish our ultimate goal and that goal is our dream.