watching our money

ashley - north judson, Indiana

There are a number of people in this world who cannot afford the things they need such as their education; however, there are criminals who are getting their education for free. There are also a number of adults who know “the system” and do not get married after having a child because they can get everything free. The government should watch more carefully the amount of money the “give” away, this I believe.

There are numerous single parents out there who are getting more and more money everyday because they are actually able to afford the things they want and need and it seems like the number of these parents is increasing. When you are living with a single parent, you get free or reduced lunch at school, discounted prices, if not free, schooling, and food stamps. Now they have even gone as far as making the food stamps look like a credit card so those using it do not have to feel ashamed. On top of all of this help for those individuals, we, as working citizens, have money taken out of our paychecks every week that goes towards them.

I understand there are certain situations that cannot be helped like if you are married but something happens or your spouse is fighting over seas. I know for a fact that there are some people who separate before their children go to college because they know they can practically get it paid for.

The government should also spend less money on prisons. We have people in prison living better than the people who have never committed a crime. Why is it that when you are in prison, you get free room and board, free food and a free education? I have to work two jobs in order to pay for my education and these people are getting it free. To me, that’s like the government is saying, “Go ahead and do something illegal.”

The spending for things such as the Presidential Campaigns should be limited as well. If we have all this money to basically waste, then why cant we afford to lower our gas prices? Small businesses are going out of business because people do not have the extra money to spend due to the continuously increasing gas prices, yet we can spend all the money we want on campaigns or television commercials talking bad about the other candidates.

The government has all this money because they keep increasing the price of things. If the prices of everything went down and they would watch more carefully on how they spend their money, people would be able to do the things they enjoy like family vacations or just a weekend away from home. This I believe.