Mariah - Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Bringing Our Soldiers Home

I believe that the war in Iraq should be over and that our troops should come home soon. In December 2003, when we captured Saddam Hussein, I thought the war would come to an end. Here we are four years later, Saddam is dead, and there is still no end in sight. It is not fair that our troops have been away from their families for so long. The United States has lost over 4,000 American soldiers already, and we will probably lose a lot more if something isn’t done soon. If we lose too many soldiers, there could possibly be a draft again. Nobody would want that because the young men that would be chosen to go would not even want to fight in the war. I wouldn’t want a draft because that would mean that my brother and cousin could be drafted. That would make me sad and even a little mad. There have already been three soldiers killed from our small Luxemburg-Casco community. Personally, the hardest one to deal with was the recent death of LCpl. Dean Opicka. I know the Opickas, and I am a friend and classmate of Dean’s nephew. Dean was well-known and loved by many, and it is hard to believe that he is gone forever. I do not think any family should have to go through the tragedy that the Opickas are going through because it is very hard to accept. I wish the Opickas and other families that have lost a loved-one in the war well. I believe that nobody should take their own or anyone else’s life for granted because no one knows when they will be gone. So live your life to the fullest and make everyday a day to remember.