The Ice Beneath My Feet

Roland - San Diego, California

I believe that with family, or people that love and care about me, I can accomplish anything. My family is the greatest thing in my life. They are always there for me and they support me no matter what I do.

When I was eight years old I told them I wanted to play hockey. They didn’t believe me at first, but once they saw I was serious we signed up the next day and later that day we were at Play It Again Sports picking out gear. Ever since then hockey has been my life. Every year progressing, getting on higher level teams and making it farther towards league titles and championships. But doing all of these things requires a lot of time and commitment, which my parents had no trouble doing.

Once I started playing travel ice hockey in the seventh grade, things began to get very serious. This was a big commitment consisting of 3-4 on ice sessions a week. One off ice training session a week, and at least one game on the weekend (half of which were not at home, so we would have to drive a minimum of thirty minutes away). Then on top of that, weekend tournaments, at least once every three months; and most of the tournaments were out of state, which meant it would cost more money for travel, hotel rooms, and food. But my parents never once complained about any of this. Even with me and my 6 year younger brother both playing at this level of hockey; even with as much as this sport costs (which is a lot), they never once complained.

The biggest thing for me though is that they rarely missed a game, even with me and my brother both playing travel hockey. They always found a way to come watch me play. Sometimes they had to go in separate directions, splitting up the family, but there was always at least one parent in the stands cheering for me. Even when I would play in the random adult leagues during the summer that meant nothing and were purely just for fun, I could always count on my dad to be standing on the glass in the right corner watching me play. This goes on to this day. While I am attending college in San Diego, and playing on the school’s hockey team, my parents make it out every weekend from Los Angeles for my games. That’s a 2 hour drive each way just to watch me play. When I see them in the stands it fills my heart and makes me want to play that much harder.

In my years of hockey I have won numerous championships and competed at many prestigious events. But none of this could have been possible without their support. I truly believe that with them believing in me I can accomplish anything.