The Benefit of a Mistake

Andria - san diego, California

I believe that every mistake in life should be looked at as a valuable learning experience. I have made several mistakes in my 28 years of life. Some mistakes I made were minor and caused a little more than a headache. But there were also the mistakes made that even made me wonder, “What was I thinking?”

As a child I was always told that I would be the first in the family to graduate from college. Right after high school I was admitted into San Diego State University. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to be blinded by what seemed fun at the time rather than on what would be on my exams. After losing my grants, failing more than a couple of classes, and being disqualified, I had no idea what to do.

I was depressed, discouraged and ashamed of all I had given up. I had to take a step back and reflect on what I wanted out of life. I realized that my education was important to me and that I wanted to make my family proud. After a long journey struggling to retake classes and repair my academic record, I petitioned the university for re-admittance. I will finally be graduating this month. I always knew that I would make my family proud by being the first to graduate from college; however, I didn’t count on it being 11 years after graduating high school!

The most important objective in life is to learn from mistakes. The lesson I took away from my mistake was that although I could not take back the all time I wasted, I could look toward the future, move toward my goal and not give up. I have learned to stay focused on the things that are important to me and not to let anything interfere with my goals.

Not every mistake can be fixed, but every mistake in life can be dealt with. What is taken away from the mistake is the most important message. I believe that no matter how hopeless a mistake may seem the key is to acknowledge and learn from it.