Humility

Shannon - Woodridge, Illinois
Themes: humility

I believe in humility. Honestly, I do not think that I would be able to get through life without believing in it. It is the only way to recover from mistakes and embarrassment. For me, humility is a way to address my flaws and be able to accept myself as I am. Of course, humility comes with time. I can not truthfully say that I have always embraced this idea. It has taken many food spills, slips on ice, and lost keys for me to appreciate it.

One instance that brought me one step closer to humility was during a high school soccer game my senior year. We were playing a brutal team and I was defending a very aggressive forward. At one point, I stole the ball and started running up the field. However, she grabbed my shorts as I past her. I did not realize it at the time, but she ripped my underwear off through my shorts. A minute later, I was running down the field with my underwear hanging around my ankle. I had to stop and walk off the field holding my underwear in my hand. I played commando the entire second half of the game. I can not say this was my proudest moment, but it was one that I will definitely remember for the rest of my life.

Surprisingly, I am thankful for the experience because it taught me a valuable lesson: I need to be able to laugh at myself. I believe that life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Life is only worthwhile when you make the best of what you are given. So what if everyone saw my underwear flapping in the wind around my ankle as I ran down the field? At least I was able to put a smile on their faces. Humility is essential to life. I believe that it has made me a better person because I can appreciate every embarrassing experience and look back on it as something that makes me who I am today.