Holding True To Traditions

Patricia - San Diego, California
Themes: family, legacy

Being in a big family, we like to celebrate and enjoy everything together, such as holidays, birthdays, and vacations. These celebrations and fun times are what makeup my traditions. I have many of them. In a way, these traditions define my life. By this I mean that I never seem to change dramatically over the years. I did move out to California and may have a different hairstyle, but I am the same person who left New Jersey two years ago. I haven’t changed. The things I do remain the same. I am who I am. I guess you can call me a conservative, but I like to say I am a traditionalist. I believe in traditions. I have always believed in them for years, and I plan on continuing to for a long time.

Living in California makes it more difficult for me to keep up with my traditions, but since traditions play an important role in my life, I always try to find a way to keep them going, usually by flying home during the holidays. I enjoy my Easter ritual of searching for my Easter basket, going to church, and having breakfast and dinner all together. This has been going on for years, and although we have all grown up, we still keep these similar traditions.

For Halloween, my Grandmom, Aunt Lynn, and I always decorate Halloween cookies. We have lots of fun as we share stories and laugh together. I always carve a pumpkin too. For Thanksgiving, we always go to my cousin’s house for the traditional turkey dinner and eat till we can’t eat any more. By the time Christmas rolls around, we do it all over again, listening and singing to our favorite holiday music, decorating the tree with Christmas lights and decorations, opening up our presents, and continuing to celebrate just like all the other holidays.

My traditions don’t always have to be holiday related, or family oriented either. In the summer, I always go to Wild Wood beach with my friends. I have to eat at The Famous Waffle House, and ride my favorite roller coaster. I have to go shopping on the boardwalk and buy something new every year. I have to visit my favorite hotel and swim in their pool. These are my traditions.

My traditions can go on and on, but as time goes by, our families grow old. Certain things may change, but the most important traditions of all remain the same, and that is to spend these wonderful times with family and friends. These traditions with them are part of my life. They bring me joy and happiness and make me who I am. I know that eventually I will move back home to New Jersey when I graduate from college, and start a family of my own making new traditions, but for now, I will continue to follow my initial traditions for as long as I can, and cherish each and every one of them.