Lauren - Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Lauren K.

Reaching Out

I believe in reaching out to people. I know that it is the hardest to do at school. I walk down the hallways thinking maybe I should talk to someone I haven’t talked to before. When I finally work up the courage I chicken out. It is always for the same reasons. Such as, what will my friends think if I say hi to him or her? Will that person say anything back? Will people think I’m weirder then what I already am? All those thoughts come into my mind before I say hi; just that single word. Maybe people don’t really think those thoughts, but hey it’s high school and people tend to assume things. What I do know is that when I ignore all of those thoughts, and just say hi I probably made that persons day.

When I was in New Orleans, to help clean up after hurricane Katrina, I didn’t realize that such a little thing to me could mean so much to one person. All I did was help the families fix up their houses, or just move furniture back into their house; to the families that meant so much. They would start crying and thanking me for the little things I did. Also, there I didn’t have to worry what people thought of me; I could just say hi and not think anything of it.

I also think that maybe reaching out just a tad could effect a person’s life. Like, what if they were thinking about suicide maybe that two letter word, hi, would make them feel a smidge more important then what they did before. Who knows, maybe I could save a life just by saying hi, thank you, or just anything that would make that person smile.

Maybe it could be the smallest thing at school like picking up books that someone dropped, or smiling at somebody on the street, but whatever the act may be, I consider it reaching out to someone. It makes me feel so good to know that by reaching out just a little bit, whether it was saying hi to someone or fixing up a house, can have an affect on that person’s life.